Sheriff s’ Association of New Jersey (SANJ) President, Somerset County Sheriff Frank J. Provenzano, announced the apprehension of 953 delinquent parents in the second of the bi-annual Child Support Warrant Sweep for the fiscal year 2010.
The goal of the three-day intensive Non Support Sweep is to apprehend non-custodial parents who have failed to pay their court-ordered child support. Additional targets included parents who have failed to appear at court hearings to establish a child support order or order for medical support.
The Sweep is hosted in cooperation with the New Jersey Office of Child Support Services (OCSS). The Sheriffs’ Association of New Jersey (SANJ) is the lead agency in this event as per the Sheriff IV-D Cooperative Agreement between OCSS and the Sheriff’s Association, as authorized under Federal Regulation 45 CFR 302.34. The OCSS has commended both the Sheriffs’ Association and the Judiciary for collaboratively supporting the Sheriffs’ final procedures and data report for the Sheriff Child support Warrant Sweep.
Cape May County Sheriff Gary Schaffer reports that 24 subjects were arrested for child support warrants with a total of 38 non-support warrants served. Officers attempted to locate and serve 68 active warrants. The total amount due on the warrants was $ 438,364.56. The arrested individuals were brought before the court which ordered money collected and a court ordered payment schedule. The total amount collected on warrants was $7,700. Thirteen offenders were lodged in the correctional center pending payments.
In addition to the non-support warrants executed, the following were arrested on municipal warrants.
1. Michael Needham – ATS Warrant – out of North Wildwood Court – $ 500.00
2. William P. Smith – ATS Warrant – out of Middle Township Court – $ 938.00
3. Tracy Steere – ATS Warrant – out of Wildwood Crest Court – $ 34.00
4. James Spyropoulos – ATS Warrant – out of Lower Township Court – $ 119.00
5. William Mcclurkin – ACS Warrant – out of Wildwood Court – $ 528.00
6. Criminal Warrant – Violation of probation Warrant on Clifford Hyson