Several new traffic patterns have been implemented on the Atlantic City Expressway (ACE) in response to a significant accident involving a truck at the ACE Bridge over Route 50 that took place yesterday afternoon. The area impacted is approximately one mile before the new Express E-ZPass lanes that are on schedule to open on or before Memorial Day weekend. Motorists should expect and prepare for delays over the next 6 to 8 weeks until repairs are complete.
Traffic changes include the following:
– The right lane and shoulder of the westbound ACE over Route 50 have been closed until repairs are complete.
– Southbound Route 50 under the bridge is closed. Southbound traffic is being temporarily directed to one of the northbound lanes with appropriate traffic control measures in place. New Jersey State Police personnel are on site to direct motorists. The State Police officers are expected to remain until a more permanent traffic control pattern is implemented.
– VMS signs have been positioned along Route 50 and the Interchange 17 ramps to notify motorists as they approach the new traffic pattern.
– Before traveling, drivers can also dial 511 or the toll free number 1.866.511.NJDT (6538) to receive the most updated information on traffic conditions.
– The left lane over the bridge was paved on Monday to allow the two westbound lanes to remain open on the ACE.