Remember when overcrowding was an issue at the Cape May County Jail? Well it isn’t any more. Sheriff Gary Schaffer said the numbers have almost dropped by a third. There was 296 inmates in the jail when Schaffer took over the post on Jan. 1, 2009. As of this week, there is only 206. Schaffer said an electronic monitoring system has allowed some reductions, but less cops on the streets in municipalities is also playing a role. An expansion at the jail is still being worked on, but progress has slowed.
- 987 THE COAST ELECTION NIGHT RESULTS
- CAPE MAY COAST GUARD BASE HONORED IN TRENTON
- SHEEHAN FILES LAWSUIT ON CAPE MAY OVER DEMOTION
- WILDWOOD BID GRANT HELPS ENHANCEMENT AT BOYER MUSEUM
- CONVICTION HANDED DOWN FOR 2002 SEXUAL ASSAULT AND ROBBERY
- WILDWOOD CONSIDERING ADDING ZIP LINES TO BEACH
- ATLANTIC CITY COULD SEE ANOTHER DOWNGRADE TO CREDIT RATING
- JOB TRAINING FOR UNEMPLOYED CASINO WORKERS TO BEGIN
- WINNING POWERBALL TICKET SOLD IN NEW JERSEY
- SCHOOL BUS COLLIDES WITH DUMP TRUCK IN DENNIS TWP.
- Ask The Morning After March 26 2015