Remember when overcrowding was an issue at the Cape May County Jail? Well it isn’t any more. Sheriff Gary Schaffer said the numbers have almost dropped by a third. There was 296 inmates in the jail when Schaffer took over the post on Jan. 1, 2009. As of this week, there is only 206. Schaffer said an electronic monitoring system has allowed some reductions, but less cops on the streets in municipalities is also playing a role. An expansion at the jail is still being worked on, but progress has slowed.
- 987 THE COAST ELECTION NIGHT RESULTS
- COAST GUARD AC: GROUNDBREAKING FOR NEW BOAT MAINTENANCE FACILITY
- PLANS FOR A NORTH JERSEY CASINO TO BE UNVEILED NEXT WEEK
- CHRISTIE CALLS FOR END OF COMMON CORE IN NEW JERSEY
- OCEAN CITY AUTHORIZES POLICE CAR AND BODY CAMS
- REAL ESTATE PRICES DIP TEN PERCENT IN CAPE MAY COUNTY
- COUNTY PUTS OUT HARSH WARNING ABOUT HEROIN USE
- WILDWOOD TO BATTLE FOR SOUTH JERSEY BASEBALL TITLE FRIDAY
- EXPERTS: MORE CASINOS TO CLOSE IN ATLANTIC CITY
- ADULT IDENTIFIED IN JUVENILE SEXTING CASE IN LOWER TWP.
- COUNTY HOLDS EMERGENCY PREPAREDNESS CONFERENCE