Remember when overcrowding was an issue at the Cape May County Jail? Well it isn’t any more. Sheriff Gary Schaffer said the numbers have almost dropped by a third. There was 296 inmates in the jail when Schaffer took over the post on Jan. 1, 2009. As of this week, there is only 206. Schaffer said an electronic monitoring system has allowed some reductions, but less cops on the streets in municipalities is also playing a role. An expansion at the jail is still being worked on, but progress has slowed.
- 987 THE COAST ELECTION NIGHT RESULTS
- SMOKING BAN ON PUBLIC BEACHES MAY BE COMING
- WILDWOOD CREST LOOKING TO HIRE ADMINISTRATOR
- MIDDLE TOWNSHIP COPS BUST TWO ON HEROIN CHARGES
- APPROVED! LEGISLATURE APPROVES AC RESCUE BILLS
- $1 MILLION VILLAS LOTTERY WINNERS CLAIM PRIZE
- SEN. BECK TO INTRODUCE LAW TO PUMP MONEY INTO ROAD PROJECTS
- GOVERNOR TO CONSIDER BAN ON DIAMONDBACK TERRAPIN HARVESTING
- MIDDLE TOWNSHIP POLICE OPEN NEW SUBSTATION IN RIO GRANDE
- STATE UNVEILS ACCESS MAP FOR ALL NEW JERSEY BEACHES
- HOLIDAY WEATHER? AIR WILL BE DRY AND WARM, OCEAN…BRR!