Remember when overcrowding was an issue at the Cape May County Jail? Well it isn’t any more. Sheriff Gary Schaffer said the numbers have almost dropped by a third. There was 296 inmates in the jail when Schaffer took over the post on Jan. 1, 2009. As of this week, there is only 206. Schaffer said an electronic monitoring system has allowed some reductions, but less cops on the streets in municipalities is also playing a role. An expansion at the jail is still being worked on, but progress has slowed.
- 987 THE COAST ELECTION NIGHT RESULTS
- LAST MONTH WAS THE WARMEST FEBRUARY IN NJ HISTORY
- AC MAN PLEADS GUILTY TO ENDANGERING THE WELFARE OF A CHILD
- STORMS LIKELY WEDNESDAY, SNOW SHOWERS ON FRIDAY?
- LOBIONDO: PRESIDENT TRUMP ADDRESSED KEY ISSUES
- HIGH SCHOOL PLAYOFFS CONTINUE TONIGHT ON COASTAL BROADCASTING
- WOMAN DRIVES INTO A BEDROOM IN GALLOWAY TOWNSHIP
- SALARY INCREASES APPROVED FOR VINELAND’S ELECTED OFFICIALS
- BAYSIDE PRISON UNIT AT ANCORA SLATED FOR CLOSURE UNDER CHRISTIE PLAN
- BOYS HOOPS: WILDWOOD ADVANCES WITH OVERTIME WIN OVER GLOUCESTER
- SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS POSSIBLE WEDNESDAY EVENING